Sizing of photovoltaic panels

This is a general forum for all questions related to SPIS. If podssible (and neccessary) please refert to the lesson on which the question refers to.
benamara.hacene

Sizing of photovoltaic panels

Post by benamara.hacene »

Hello all
The size of the panels depends mainly on the type of crop and the water needs of this crop. My question is how to size the panels knowing that the crops are in rotation, so each year the water needs change?
Sincerely
Emmanuel IRADUKUNDA

Re: Sizing of photovoltaic panels

Post by Emmanuel IRADUKUNDA »

For me I think that the sizing for this case you have to consider the crop which require much water than others. The reason of this is that when you rotate crops in the field this means that the water requirement (quantity of water ) that you need will change for every rotation (every crop that you cultivated) and make sure that at every rotation your crops get water needed you have to size your system based on the crop which requires much water than others.
Thanks.
abeddoughan

Post by abeddoughan »

benamara.hacene wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:37 pm Hello all
The size of the panels depends mainly on the type of crop and the water needs of this crop. My question is how to size the panels knowing that the crops are in rotation, so each year the water needs change?
Sincerely
Hello
Yes I agree with Emmanual. Try to size your panels depending on the crop with the highest water requirements. In case a crop required less, you can disconnect one of the panels.
Thoughts on this?
Best
Abed
Koffi

Post by Koffi »

We agree that we can not size the panels every year. We have to manage the water demande by choosing the crops accordinly. Consider the higher demand during the sizing if the crops need less water, just pump what is needed.
Julius K

Post by Julius K »

I would think the best way to size an SPIS is to base the sizing on the highest demand and then control the output along the way.
Elias Sulaiman

Post by Elias Sulaiman »

Yes, I agree with all
But I need to add some things,
when we design the drip irrigation system for any orchard or field, we should consider both uniformity and efficiency.
1- We need to design the irrigation system to the maximum need of crops (usually vegetables need more water than trees in Jun).
2- The irrigation schedule is very important (it should be flexible and consider all types of crops)
3-As we can't change the flow in the main pipes or lateral drip line (diameter or velocity, as that, will affect the head loss, the head loss is usually different between the first dripper and last dripper only about 10% for uniform irrigation)
The irrigation schedule should be flexible and available for all kinds of crops with considering uniformity and efficiency,
4- Hydraulic study: After we have been prepared the irrigation schedule, we can choose the pump, main pipeline, sub-main pipeline, lateral dripline, drippers,
5- Solar power system (which includes the panels)
Best, Elias
Tanoh

Post by Tanoh »

Dear all,
I agree with all.
Each year, the same crops are rotated. Therefore, the water requirements for these crops remain unchanged. The sizing of the solar panels depends on the water needs, it will be necessary to consider the crops with a high water requirement.
santa.akanyo@giz.de

Post by santa.akanyo@giz.de »

Dear all,
I agree with all your responses. several factors are to be considered when sizing the SPIS. The crop water requirement is one of them not forgetting the climate of the area as well.
with the changing climate where rain and dry spell are unpredictable, the system should also be designed to provide adequate water at peak crop demand even during the driest months/season
MOHAMMED OMAR

Post by MOHAMMED OMAR »

Dear All;

I agree with all your informative responses which says that the sizing of the PV panels shall be based on the crop which requires the highest water requirement. I also, suggest that software tools can give more accurate calculations on the required number of PV panels based on the chosen crops.
Johan

Post by Johan »

In my opinion, I think while sizing we consider the worst-case scenario where the natural water supply for the crop is scarce to ensure that the crops receive the water required for their growth and when the natural water is in place during other seasons you then limit on the pumping.