SPIS in drought affected countries

This is a general forum for all questions related to SPIS. If podssible (and neccessary) please refert to the lesson on which the question refers to.
dabdlmunem@oxfam

SPIS in drought affected countries

Post by dabdlmunem@oxfam »

I’m wondering if I can find more resources on how this approach can support drought affected countries. I also would like to know more about past failures and challenges in applying this method especially in low literacy countries and areas.
If there’s any relevant resources you can send me I would really appreciate it!
abeddoughan

Re: SPIS in drought affected countries

Post by abeddoughan »

Good question
Can you share with me please

Best
santa.akanyo@giz.de

Post by santa.akanyo@giz.de »

My answer may not be very comprehensive. but I must say that any farmer thinking of investing in SPI must be sure of the water source. Water is a very pivotal component of SPI technology and irrigation success depends on it.
Farmers in dry areas without rivers, springs or receiving unreliable rainfall must look for innovative methods to take water to their fields either through drilling a borehole to extract the underground water, rainwater harvesting or purchase of water from water suppliers. These options may require support from development agencies or the Government since they may be very costly to individual farmers.
On literacy, farmers who have low literacy levels can still be trained in their native languages. The training should be tailor-made to suit their interest. Very technical topics like how to design the SPI system may not be of interest to a farmer. however, a farmer may be very interested in knowing the operation and maintenance of the SPIS.
In the GIZ GBE Uganda project, we designed an SPIS user manual (operation and maintenance manual) for farmers' training.
I hope this is a helpful tip.
Best,
Santa.
MOHAMMED OMAR

Post by MOHAMMED OMAR »

Very interesting question ....... look at this link which describes how Indonesian farmers resist drought seassons and save money at same time by implementing solar powered irrigation system to provide required water to irrigate rice which is the main dish for the people in the country (https://www.oneearth.org/solar-irrigati ... ave-money/).... I hope this one will help.

Thanks!
xayne

Post by xayne »

xayne

Post by xayne »

сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтtuchkasсайтсайт