Most relevant aspect for you in Module 1

This forum is especially dedicated to question which may arise around the use of the SPIS Excel-tools. These tools are extremly helpful to calculate the water demand needed to irrigate certain crops and to calculate the size of the pump and the surface of solar panels needed to perform the irrigation task properly.
Mostafa Biad

Most relevant aspect for you in Module 1

Post by Mostafa Biad »

Dear participants and colleagues:
During Module 1 you had 4 lessons :
1.1. Safeguard Water
1.2. Irrigation Aspects
1.3. Water Requirement
1.4. Promote & Initiate
And you have surely had a first glance to the toolbox « Water Requirement Tool »

Discussion :
What was the most relevant lesson/topic/aspect/challenge.. for you (to your country, your region, etc.)?
Explain why..

SPIS team
Stéphane SISSOKO

Re: Most relevant aspect for you in Module 1

Post by Stéphane SISSOKO »

Hello Mostafa
I am Senegalese and in my country we don't have restrictions on groundwater extraction
in my opinion we need to have more education to the safeguard water before promote and initiate the SPIS. the daily solar irradiation is greater than 4.5 and irrigation is quite widespread. Everybody can install a borehole in his field without restrictions so if the population misunderstood the safeguard water concept we risk a serious issues of over exploitation of resources and deficits of water for the little farmers.
suppliers are often greedy and more interested in making a quick buck than providing tailored professional support, farmers want a quick and less expensive installation because they don't have enough money and don't understand all the issues to do a complete study . this kind of mindset is not good for promote SPIS.
Mostafa Biad

Post by Mostafa Biad »

Stéphane SISSOKO wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:37 am Hello Mostafa
I am Senegalese and in my country we don't have restrictions on groundwater extraction
in my opinion we need to have more education to the safeguard water before promote and initiate the SPIS. the daily solar irradiation is greater than 4.5 and irrigation is quite widespread. Everybody can install a borehole in his field without restrictions so if the population misunderstood the safeguard water concept we risk a serious issues of over exploitation of resources and deficits of water for the little farmers.
suppliers are often greedy and more interested in making a quick buck than providing tailored professional support, farmers want a quick and less expensive installation because they don't have enough money and don't understand all the issues to do a complete study . this kind of mindset is not good for promote SPIS.
Hello Stéphane
I have a small knowledge about water context in Senegal, (I was involved in a study in the region of Touba).
The problem you raised is not specific to Senegal, many countries are striving to find solutions, tools and instruments to face such issu.
During our live class tomorrow, I will try to say few words about the situation in Morocco..
All the best
Rashid.khan

Post by Rashid.khan »

Dears,
Module 1 is greatly presented to understand the concepts. It sounds good for rural context however, I fear it does not address the complexities of SPIS in urban and fragile context. This could be the next version of SPIS :) .

Best,

Rashid
Julius K

Post by Julius K »

My name is Julius, from Kenya. I think the most outstanding thing for me in Safeguard Water Module is the need for regulations or policies governing water abstraction. I have an experience where we lost a big sale plus the client lost revenues due to lack of these regulations. We had an agreement that we install a 2 acre pilot irrigation system after which we were to do nearly the whole like 80 acres. The water source run dry in the middle of farming season :( !! Unregulated upstream abstraction means that you are there for yourself and anything can happen! Water abstraction permits/policies are necessary!
Tanoh

Post by Tanoh »

Hello dear all,
I am Ivorian, working as an assistant professor in Daloa in the center-west of Cote d'Ivoire. The city is supplied with drinking water from surface water provided by the Drinking Water supply Society of Cote d'Ivoire. This water has been subjected for more than 2 decades to the eutrophication phenomenon due to agricultural practices using chemical fertilizers. We are conducting research on the possibility of using the vegetative filter strips around this reservoir to limit the transfer of agricultural pollutants to this reservoir. As for irrigation, it is not too developed in the area because for the moment the rains are not scarce and the farmers do not find the need to irrigate their plots to increase their agricultural production. But, in the context of climate change, farmers still need to be made aware of this option in order to adapt to the climate change phenomenon. For me, the relevant topic in module 1 is SAFEGUARD WATER.

Thanks.
Tanoh.
ftoukourou

Post by ftoukourou »

Je suis Fassihath TOUKOUROU du BENIN l'aspect le plus important a été les aspects liés à la preservation des ressources rares
Mostafa Biad

Post by Mostafa Biad »

ftoukourou wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:59 pm Je suis Fassihath TOUKOUROU du BENIN l'aspect le plus important a été les aspects liés à la preservation des ressources rares
Bonjour Fassihath,
C'est un aspect très important qui rentre dans une stratégie globale de la gestion des ressources communément appelé "gestion de la demande" et qui couvre entre autres : l'économie d'eau, gestion efficace et efficiente de l'eau (rendements des réseaux, affectation des ressources en eau), la réutilisation des eaux usées épurées, la sensibilisation des parties prenantes, les actions d'ordre réglementaire et institutionnel, etc.
Andrii Barulin

Post by Andrii Barulin »

For me personally, all the topics were very informative and interesting. These materials allowed to structure all knowledge. As for the importance, in my opinion, topics 1.3. Water Requirement and 1.4. Promote & Initiate is very important for me and my professional activity.
abeddoughan

Post by abeddoughan »

Mostafa Biad wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:59 am Dear participants and colleagues:
During Module 1 you had 4 lessons :
1.1. Safeguard Water
1.2. Irrigation Aspects
1.3. Water Requirement
1.4. Promote & Initiate
And you have surely had a first glance to the toolbox « Water Requirement Tool »

Discussion :
What was the most relevant lesson/topic/aspect/challenge.. for you (to your country, your region, etc.)?
Explain why..

SPIS team
Hello Mr. Mostafa.
Speaking on Lebanon, one of the main problems we are facing is disposing sewage water in the sea and agricultural and industrial waste in the rivers. We have regulations and rules for stopping this in our ministries but there is no enforcements. Waste water treatment plants are barely operating due to the electricity crisis. We are considered one of the richest arab countries in terms of water resources but we are not managing them properly.