Most relevant aspect for you in Module 1

This forum is especially dedicated to question which may arise around the use of the SPIS Excel-tools. These tools are extremly helpful to calculate the water demand needed to irrigate certain crops and to calculate the size of the pump and the surface of solar panels needed to perform the irrigation task properly.
Mostafa Biad

Re: Most relevant aspect for you in Module 1

Post by Mostafa Biad »

abeddoughan wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:19 pm
Mostafa Biad wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:59 am Dear participants and colleagues:
During Module 1 you had 4 lessons :
1.1. Safeguard Water
1.2. Irrigation Aspects
1.3. Water Requirement
1.4. Promote & Initiate
And you have surely had a first glance to the toolbox « Water Requirement Tool »

Discussion :
What was the most relevant lesson/topic/aspect/challenge.. for you (to your country, your region, etc.)?
Explain why..

SPIS team
Hello Mr. Mostafa.
Speaking on Lebanon, one of the main problems we are facing is disposing sewage water in the sea and agricultural and industrial waste in the rivers. We have regulations and rules for stopping this in our ministries but there is no enforcements. Waste water treatment plants are barely operating due to the electricity crisis. We are considered one of the richest arab countries in terms of water resources but we are not managing them properly.
Hello Abed
Many thanks for your contribution,
Yes, wastewater management is very complex topic, even it seems to some people quite simple technically speaking.
Unfortunately, in many countries and cases, not much importance is given to wastewater collection, treatment and discharge because of many reasons : institutional, financial, etc. And the situation is getting with INDUSTRIAL wastewater discharge (lack of regulations and/or enforcement, ..)
for your case, are there any actions planed or applied to solve the problem, what is the strategy, etc.
I will try to find some useful references or experiences to share with you
all the best
Mostafa
james N

Post by james N »

Hi Mostafa,My name is James From Kenya. Currently serving to empower local communities in the agriculture sector.I have realized due to climate change,rainy seasons are changing and we are experiencing prolonged droughts in most areas of the country. The most relevant aspect from this module would therefore be; water preservation and irrigation system management.This will help the rural communities to manage the water they get in rainy season in an efficient way and at the same time use the water for irrigation.
abeddoughan

Post by abeddoughan »

[/quote]
Hello Abed
Many thanks for your contribution,
Yes, wastewater management is very complex topic, even it seems to some people quite simple technically speaking.
Unfortunately, in many countries and cases, not much importance is given to wastewater collection, treatment and discharge because of many reasons : institutional, financial, etc. And the situation is getting with INDUSTRIAL wastewater discharge (lack of regulations and/or enforcement, ..)
for your case, are there any actions planed or applied to solve the problem, what is the strategy, etc.
I will try to find some useful references or experiences to share with you
all the best
Mostafa
[/quote]

Dear Mostafa
Thanks for your reply!
I dont know if you are familiar with the economic and political crisis happening in Lebanon. This has caused huge problems. Unfortuantely. We have received a fund/grant from the World Bank to clean the Litani River (one of the most important rivers in Lebanon) few years ago, however; this has not been implemented yet. There is no fines or punishments for factories/companies disposing their waste on land or rivers since each owner is backed by a leader or person with connections.
Recently, few days ago, the ministry of environment has been meeting to come up with regulations and decisions to fix whats happening (still hasn't read what happened exactly but I can share once I know). Furthermore, from the political side, every time the parliament changes the ministries change as well. Also, we have been without a prime minister for several months several times, as a result, causing problems and chaos in ministries.
Hope this helps!
Best
Abed.
Mostafa Biad

Post by Mostafa Biad »

james N wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:47 am Hi Mostafa,My name is James From Kenya. Currently serving to empower local communities in the agriculture sector.I have realized due to climate change,rainy seasons are changing and we are experiencing prolonged droughts in most areas of the country. The most relevant aspect from this module would therefore be; water preservation and irrigation system management.This will help the rural communities to manage the water they get in rainy season in an efficient way and at the same time use the water for irrigation.
Dear James
Adaptation to Climate change in water sector is a real challenge. is the one of the topics on the top agenda of many national and international institutions.
can you tell about some experiences you are testing in rain water preservation..
santa.akanyo@giz.de

Post by santa.akanyo@giz.de »

This is Santa from Uganda. GIZ-GBE project
when we were planning to set up SPIS demonstration garden for drip irrigation. we intended to drill a borehole. but after surveying the neighbourhood, we realized that there was another borehole less 20m away from the demo site.
we had to resort to the following options
1. rainwater harvesting and storage
2. purchase of water from national water which became better alternative but expensive in the long run.

we learned that SPIS requires reliable water and rainwater harvesting may not be sufficient depending on the season, crop type, water storage capacity of the reservoir etc, farmers should be advised to set their gardens where water is free or very cheap
Nikhil

Post by Nikhil »

Hello participants,
I am Nikhil from India. From my perspective, the most important aspect for my region is responsible and legal abstraction of groundwater. The general perception among people is that groundwater source is perennial. I have seen heavy use of it, in residential and agriculture, where no efforts are made to reduce the consumption. For example, most farms in my region are irrigated using furrows (surface irrigation) which is very inefficient. Moreover, there is no check on the amount of water one can abstract from the ground.
MOHAMMED OMAR

Post by MOHAMMED OMAR »

Obviously the module discussed very important aspects which most of them are relevant to my country Yemen......However, the most relevant is the water management. Here, government does not impose strict rules for well abstraction. In otherwords, farmers dig a well and they do not care about the save water abstraction or even try to find the save percentage.
khaled

Post by khaled »

i am egyptian , it is very interesting module it make me look to Spis from another angel , before i was focusing on efficiancy of solar station
Regardless of the poor consumption of water by farmers, this will make me focus more in the future on alerting my clients to the dangers of excessive use of groundwater
xayne

Post by xayne »

xayne

Post by xayne »

инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинйоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоtuchkasинфоинфо