Self-Test 1: Sustainable Water Management - Excessive water pumping

This forum is especially dedicated to question which may arise around the use of the SPIS Excel-tools. These tools are extremly helpful to calculate the water demand needed to irrigate certain crops and to calculate the size of the pump and the surface of solar panels needed to perform the irrigation task properly.
Rashid.khan

Self-Test 1: Sustainable Water Management - Excessive water pumping

Post by Rashid.khan »

Hi All,
Excessive water pumping is an issue of particular concern in the urban setting in developing countries (urban slums). In my context, the construction of unplanned commercial plazas in residential areas lead to conflicts and dependence on tanker mafias. This is huge setback to urban forming while tension is growing among farmers in rural areas due to diminishing underground water. Syrian conflict is largely attributed to un-equitable water distribution among farmers and so many other examples are existing today which support the subject deliberation.

Best,
Rashid
Stéphane SISSOKO

Re: Self-Test 1: Sustainable Water Management - Excessive water pumping

Post by Stéphane SISSOKO »

hello people
i have many preoccupation about sustainable water pumping
what's the limit of the daily pumping?
the SPIS tool mean to limit that at 100m3 per day while we consider that 1ha of irrigation need between 30 -50m3 water daily. Although if you have more than 4ha to irrigate and also animals like cows, sheep, fowls...what you can do?
i tried to do a simulation with the SPIS tool and the higher water consumption per day was 444m3 do you thing that's viable and sustainable for a 5ha farm?
i also met a entrepreneur who offers to install an aquaponics system that replaces fertigation and don't use chemical product however the system need to stock 200m3 of water and release 30m3 per day for irrigation that have to replace daily by a pumping system of water sources (borehole).
in addition, the resale of farmed fish is a significant additional income for the farmer.
what do you think about that?

regards
Hans

Post by Hans »

Dear Stéphane,
the SPIS tool does not limit you to 100 m3 per day. this depends on the well you have, the crop and the area you want to irrigate. Usually a pump test tells you how much water you can take approximately out of this borehole. Also a sensor to measure the ground water level (near the borehole) might give you some indications if you lower the groundwater level permanently or only temporarily.
Some big irrigation projects switch off the pumps when a certain groundwater level is reached!
Depending on the crop, temperature, rainfall, the water requirement tool gives you the quantity needed for this crop. The niche thing about the excel tool is that you can play with them and give a range of data and see, how e.g. the necessary water quantity changes.
There is no problem with bigger quantities like what you quote for the additional fish farm, which is a very good idea. I have seen it in highlands of Kenya.
I hope I have given you some response.
Take care

Hans
Hans

Post by Hans »

Yes Rashid,
you are absolutely correct - and lowering the water table will continue unfortunately in many places. Bad examples are many, in India I have seen long time ago the first reports of really excessive ground water lowering of 100 m and more. One idea is to get everybody involved in abstracting water from a certain aquifer to sit together and discuss common measures. Mostafa in the Live Class 2 has talked about it and I have seen that in Morocco it seems to work to some extent. But the prerequisite is that all concerned sit around the table and are willing to find a common agreement...
Best

Hans
Stéphane SISSOKO

Post by Stéphane SISSOKO »

Hans wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:01 pm Dear Stéphane,
the SPIS tool does not limit you to 100 m3 per day. this depends on the well you have, the crop and the area you want to irrigate. Usually a pump test tells you how much water you can take approximately out of this borehole. Also a sensor to measure the ground water level (near the borehole) might give you some indications if you lower the groundwater level permanently or only temporarily.
Some big irrigation projects switch off the pumps when a certain groundwater level is reached!
Depending on the crop, temperature, rainfall, the water requirement tool gives you the quantity needed for this crop. The niche thing about the excel tool is that you can play with them and give a range of data and see, how e.g. the necessary water quantity changes.
There is no problem with bigger quantities like what you quote for the additional fish farm, which is a very good idea. I have seen it in highlands of Kenya.
I hope I have given you some response.
Take care

Hans
thank you Hans for your answer
Rashid.khan

Post by Rashid.khan »

Hans wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:06 pm Yes Rashid,
you are absolutely correct - and lowering the water table will continue unfortunately in many places. Bad examples are many, in India I have seen long time ago the first reports of really excessive ground water lowering of 100 m and more. One idea is to get everybody involved in abstracting water from a certain aquifer to sit together and discuss common measures. Mostafa in the Live Class 2 has talked about it and I have seen that in Morocco it seems to work to some extent. But the prerequisite is that all concerned sit around the table and are willing to find a common agreement...
Best

Hans
Absolutely true Hans! and therefore participatory (stakeholders) decision making is an almost importance in SPIS and part of IWRM. This will bring us to "SUCCESSFUL" social approaches being used/using in SPIS in the coming lesson hopefully 8-) .
abeddoughan

Post by abeddoughan »

Best

Hans
Hello Hans,
Would like to add whats happening in Lebanon concerning this point. Excessive groundwater pumping in the city Beirut has led to intrusion of salt water to wells or the drying of well. For example our building dug u to 90m and still did not collect any source of water. This led several households to buy water from private trucks (that goes to a mountainous area to fill its tank) since the water provided from the municipality is barely here.
santa.akanyo@giz.de

Post by santa.akanyo@giz.de »

Best

Hans
Thanks for your response Hans. it is very helpful. in my view, a lot of sensitization on water management still needs to be emphasized to the policymakers as well. They need to know about IWRM so that concrete decisions based on groundwater protection can be prioritized.
Best,
Santa
khaled

Post by khaled »

The unjust use of water by farmers is very widespread, especially in flood irrigation, so we must have a special role, as this will be at the heart of our work by raising awareness and trying to implement what is right.

khaled
xayne

Post by xayne »